Food is an essential part of all of our everyday lives. But we do know about everything we eat? Scientists are constantly discovering new interesting facts about food. In this article, I will be covering some of the most interesting facts about food around the world and throughout time.
Chicken contains 266% more fat than it did 40 years ago.
A research conducted by scientists from the Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition at London Metropolitan University shows that today chicken meat includes the staggering 266 fat and the unhealthy 33% less protein than it did four decades past.
Our modern day farming systems cause this affecting abnormality in chicken meat. Instead of feeding our poultry with chemical free food and breeding by pumping them up with all kinds of nutritional supplements, we often spoil it, inspired by consumerism motives.
Spinach can improve your memory.
Additionally to improving your memory, Spinach is one of the largest sources of folic acid and vitamin B. One study found that eating tons of spinach and other green leafy vegetables reduced cognitive decline by 40%.
Carrots were originally purple.
Orange carrots are mutants and initially, purple carrots were the standard, but over time yellow and white carrots were discovered growing wildly. During the 17th-century, Dutch carrot growers managed to cultivate these white and yellow carrots into the orange ones we’re comfortable with now.
Honey will never expire or rot. It can last 3000 years.
Modern archeologists, excavating ancient Egyptian graves, have frequently discovered something surprising amongst the graves’ artifacts: pots of honey, thousands of years old, and yet maintained. Through the millennia, archeologists have found many unspoiled foods, an unmistakable testament to the endless shelf life of honey.
Want to know why honey is the only food that doesn’t go bad? click here.
Drinking milk may cause acne.
Did you know that we are the only species on the planet that drink another animal’s milk? Because of this humans consume a hormone called IGF-1, which is essential for baby cows but not for humans. In humans, this hormone tends to cause inflammation also known as acne.
These facts are merely a small portion of hundreds of facts about food. Although I have compiled more interesting facts about food below! If you love food, you’ll be sure to love these facts. If you enjoyed this article please follow us for more interesting articles and updated information about the best restaurants in Koh Samui!
More Interesting Facts of Food
- Octopuses are eaten alive in Korea.
- Almost 70 percent of the red meat eaten globally is goat meat.
- California is the world’s 5th largest supplier of food.
- Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes.
- People who eat spicy foods tend to live longer, according to a 2015 study.
- Alcohol consumed with food is absorbed more slowly, because it spends a longer time in the stomach.
- Common bananas are all genetically identical, because they come from trees that have been cloned for decades.
- Until the year 1450, there were no chili peppers in Indian food, peanuts in Thai food, and no tomatoes in Italian food.
- Peach seeds hold a potent anti-cancer medicine called laetrile.
- Rosemary oils can be used as a natural meat preservative. It works better than chemical additives.
- Cherries ease inflammation and gout; and they may even help prevent arthritis.
- India has the world’s lowest meat consumption per person.
- The popsicle was invented by an 11-year-old in 1905. (http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/a3406/history-of-popsicles-0610/)
- Apples float in water, because 25% of their volume is made of air.
- Food cannot be tasted unless it is mixed with saliva.
- In emergency situations, Coconut water can be used as a substitute for blood plasma.